From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 21:20:32 -0500
Hello All,

James wrote:
> > So, at least in 1994, dollar-value numbers turned out to be a
> > self-inflicted gunshot
> > wound to the foot of every beekeeper who had hoped to "save"
> > the honey program.

Truer words were never spoken!

 I commend Jim on his knowledge of the situation.

 Many beekeepers still do not clearly see why the industry lost the honey
program. Thankfully the present leadership of the national organizations
understood why their predecessors were unsuccessful and got the program
reinstated.

Too late to keep a close friend from losing his business. I hold no
animosity to the prior leadership and only point out reasons for the prior
failure as James did.

The leadership of the AHPA and ABF get heavy criticism when things do not go
as promised and rarely (if ever) get commended for their accomplishments. I
commend both groups and their leaders on their recent accomplishments.

Sadly I agree with Dr. Shilling (ABF convention 2002) that protectionism
will not work in the long run . Increasing productivity by 17 times seems
out of reach also. Dr. Shilling used the example that the U.S. farmer is 17
times as productive now while over the same time period the U.S. beekeeper
still has the same honey production average per hive (in some states less)
as a 100 years ago.

I am always asked about the four  large beekeeping operations which closed
last year in Missouri. Why did they quit after so many years people ask?
One started in the 20's, one in the 50's, one in the late 60's and the last
in the early 70's.
The issue is complex so I would appreciate help with a single sentence to
explain quickly to non beekeepers. All help appreciated.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

American Beekeeper
Endangered species

(from 2001 National Honey Board T shirt available from NHB)