From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2012 10:01:22 -0400
> As to Penn. I have been told that they have two inspectors, funded from the ash borer testing fund, the one that inspected hives had no beekeeping experience but got the job because they were part of the ash borer research so I'm not sure how much of a service they could provide, but they were very interested in the bees.
mike syracuse N.Y

Hi Mike,

You are correct.  I see that PA
has 3 inspectors total for the state,
this including the inspector which
replaced Dennis Van, 'State Apiarist'.

3 inspectors for a state consisting of
at least 2400 registered beekeepers
has quite a large job on their hands.

Not sure of the status, but word is
are they may reduce apiary inspections
to every 2 years.  Thats quite a length
of time for those who rely on inspectors
to detect disease "early".  Maybe someone
can research the status of inspections
in Pa and get back to the list, -I have
not the time.  I know its been 2 years
since my colonies have been inspected,
unless they did it unannounced.

I tend not to float names, but it
they get rid of inspector who was
in-charge of my area, then they lost
a highly qualified inspector.

If the local associations dont take
up some of the responsibility for
inspections of colonies, then this
would be bad for their own area.  Its a
good way to establish good relationships
with your neighboring beekeepers.
It would be bad for starting
relations, for ones first meeting to
be one "giving the neighbor hell"
for spreading disease to their apiaries.
Thats a bad way to start off.

Best Wishes
Joe Waggle