Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 09:12:48 -0700
Scott Moser wrote:

>.  Genetics is such a tricky thing anyway, it is really hard to make
> blanket statements.    What race works for one, may not work well for
> another.  As with anything, pick what fits you best, and stick with that.  That
> choice may be hybrids, or purebreds, whatever you feel most comfortable with.
>
> Hello All,
 My observations over the last 30 years brings out support for Scotts
statements.
  Hybrid queens have a plus. In most csaes,the number of sex alleles is
12 or more. That equates to better egg hatch. That is about the only
thing you can count on.Then comes the phenotype, how the genes respond
to different environments. That is the meat and potatoes. One hybrid
will work well down south in the US , but not very well up north.
Behaviors come from the genes and there reaction to the enviornment.So
there is no perfect across the board hybrid.Nature is a complex of
variance.We can breed for certain traits, but they have to be
environmentally tuned.
 For down to earth beekeeping. One should try queens from different
breeders. We have a gene problem in the USA. Only 8 family's of bees to
work from.Thats not much. So breeders that get breeding stock from all
over, will put out a better product.Then comes the real nuts and bolts.
Do they do there queen production with good starter and finisher hives.
Is there good flight weather for the queens and drones.This last year in
California was bad for early queens. So you can't jump to a lot of
conclusions about any one breeder. Next year they may be great. I'm
doing some spot requeening for the second time this year.I have 200
hives and requeened 4 hives yesterday.All hives MUST have good laying
queens. Weak spotty brood will not do for a good honey crop.
 Honeybee genetics can get very complex.Hybrids can fit well in some
applications.They will not fit everything and every place.
 Sue Cobeys work is coming along very well.Her breeding program will
make a difference. Selective breeding with positive traits will help all
of us in the future.Hybrids can be worked out of the system down stream.
After a good base is set.Importation of new stock will make that happen.
 Very Best Regards
Roy Nettlebeck
Tahuya River Apiaries