From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:23:16 -0600
Hello All,
Each fall for years I have shared what is reported to me about the state of
the commercial beekeeping industry around this time of year.

I am a few weeks late this year but wanted to hear from Australia and
California before sharing.

Many reports of beekeepers losing all their hives. Not sure why.
(source hive placement service in California & Australian package people
taking package pallet orders).

 Many reports of very large commercial beekeepers which have went to almonds
for years staying home because of bees in poor shape ( report from beekeeper
wintering in Carthage, Texas).

Australian pallets of package bees booked now for all dates from now into
February (source a phone call from the Sidney airport from an Australian
package producer tonight). I would still try to place an order or put my
name on a cancellation list. Beekeepers are starting to place package orders
for fall 2006 & spring 2007.

The almond crop insurance providers are not giving crop insurance I have
been told unless the grower can provide a signed contract from a beekeeper
of two hives per acre( source Australia and several commercial beekeepers).

Another year of hive shortage in almonds (source almond placement service).

After the January conventions I should be better able to provide better
information on the deadout problems.

Many hives headed to almonds are buried in the snow drifts in North Dakota.
Those beekeepers say they were waiting to see
the condition of their bees before ordering packages. If you snooze you
lose!

Bell Honey of Florida saved the industry last year by selling  around
100,000 hives for almond pollination. Those hives are gone now and Horace
Bell is most likely deep sea fishing, hunting or relaxing in his RV.. Our
paths will cross in January like they have for years and I will find out
hopefully the state of the Florida beekeeping industry. Jerry Hayes (Florida
Inspection service) has wanted me to stop by his office the last three trips
I have made to Florida but I never seemed to find the time. I plan on making
stopping by a priority in January. Jerry offered me a job with the Florida
inspection service this year which I pondered for a long time but declined.
I am totally devoted to the U.S. beekeeping industry and if I had been a
decade younger most likely would have went to help Jerry out.

A few new players are coming on the almond scene such as Brent Barkman from
Kansas. His outfit was almost wiped out last year but he rebuilt all summer
instead of making honey and is ready for California I am told (source
Bullseye Bill from Kansas).

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri