From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 1998 10:17:23 -0400
Ben Pollard talks about city requirements for packaging honey that require
he meet the same standards as a restaurant.
While I really don t know what to say, as I don t know the specifics, some
thoughts come to mind:
1. Is this a  real  problem or only a  potential  problem?  I have worked in
a lot of restaurants, and have never observed that the inspectors are
over-zealous in their requirements.  They essentially want to be certain
that bulk foods are kept properly cool, that the place is reasonably clean
during working hours, is thoroughly cleaned daily, and that the dishwasher
temperature is unreasonably hot.  Hair nets are sometimes a problem (not
wearing them).
Working surfaces are usually supposed to be stainless steel  or a comparable
material .  I have found inspectors will allow anything that is free of
cracks, chips, etc. (places for bacteria to hide).  A demonstration that
they are wiped daily with alcohol goes a long way to meeting their
requirements, and is no more work than soap and water.
2. I package a lot of honey, and have never been inspected or bothered.
However, my personal ethic is to keep the place as clean as our home
kitchen.  While there is a lot of variance and judgment in that standard, we
happen to keep our kitchen pretty clean, without being obsessive about it.
3. In addition to working in restaurants, I have worked in food processing
plants.  Again, I have never found the cleanliness standards to be a
problem.  When there has been a problem, it has been because employees would
not keep their workplace up to the standards they would insist on in their
homes.
Ben, the only thing I can think of is to express an attitude of   I want to
meet the standards, but this is what I have to work with how can I comply
without spending a lot of money?   Sometimes if one can put the inspectors
in the frame of  helping , rather than  enforcing , it can be surprising
easy to comply.
Best of luck,
Lloyd
Owner, Ross Rounds   the finest in comb honey production.