From:
Robert Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 16:07:14 -0500
> There was a point when those using Buckfast (myself) saw a aggressive bee
> when outcrossed.
> Many beekeepers believed (as Robert ) that the monticolo bee had some
> scutellata genetics.

Perhaps I shouldn't be contributing, since I don't keep bees now.  But one
of the reasons I quit was the behavior of the superceded Buckfast bees. I
also gave up because of the diseases.

Beekeeping was changed from what it was. We liked Gentle bees.  No need for
a beesuit or a veil.  And we were newbies.  My brother and I had a typical
fear of bees, and we were like normal members of the population. But we had
an interest, and it was partly through watching Br Adam's video on TV.  Our
Buckfast bees were gentle and easy to work, and I had three supers of honey
from a nuc that I started in spring. They were huge honey producers.

My brother and I took my 3 yr old niece to our beeyard to see our bees. I
have photos of that, with the gentle bees. The Buckfast bee may be have been
fine in England. But it sure doesnt work in Canada.  When these bees
supecede, they become extremely bad: I know because I was there.  I don't
know about the genetics.  I had a good time with Buckfast bees.   But they
certainly turn ugly when there is a supercedure.  It isnt their fault: I
know other drones mate with a new queen.   But the result is very bad.
  And it is very hard to control what happens afterwards.   Maybe there are
no African Genes involved. OK

-r