From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 10:09:23 -0500
Milt asked several questions:

1. "Does anyone know of a source of disease-free pollen for the small
beekeeper?"

I do not know of such a source, from any of those who advertise their pollen
in the magazines. At least two of those vendors get their pollen from
'offshore sources', which I interpret as coming from China. Personally, I
would not touch the stuff.

That said, I think that small beekeepers should seriously consider buying
local pollen from a beekeeper they think they can trust. AFB is the disease
everyone worries about being transmitted with pollen and I wonder if the
worries are justified.

First, ABF is not very contagious. Larvae can only become infected for a few
hours of their life. Second, there was a study done some years ago at Penn
State (I think) where scientists tried to infect larvae with a hive tool by
transferring spores from known infections to larvae of the 'right' age, and
were 100% unsuccessful! Third, pollen properly collected has never entered a
brood nest so any spores would have to come from being casually on the
outside of adult bees or in their honey stomachs. Fourth, I have asked
several scientists if anyone had ever managed to inoculate larvae or a petri
dish with ABF spores collected from pollen, and no one has been able to
recall any such studies.

BUT: (1) ABF is a terrible disease to get established in an apiary and (2)
those same scientists who do not know of studies establishing a connection
between pollen and ABF also 'believe' that swarms hived on new foundation
sometimes come down with ABF, implying that spores are being carried by
adult bees.

So, every beekeeper has to make her own decisions. Personally, I would buy
pollen from a trusted local source if I had to. (Next year, collect your own
and keep it over the winter.)

2. "What about HUFFS? Is there a cost-efficient source for the guy who's
been
buying 25 lb bags of sugar from the local Safeway?"

Tough to find such a source. If you are near eastern NY, Betterbee
(800-632-3379) offered (in 2002) HFCS at $.18 a pound in your own buckets,
with a minimum of 10 buckets. In the upper Midwest, B & B Honey Farm
(800-342-4811) offers similar deals. I think that Mid-Con (800-547-1392),
near Kansas City, does likewise. Check with your local bee equipment
dealers. If they do not offer in 5-gallon buckets, tell them you would buy
some if they did! They have to buy at least a ½ tanker load, so want to make
sure they can sell what they buy, and if enough beekeepers 'commit' to buy
they will!

3. "Anyone have a review of the foam top-feeders? Are they durable?"

In my opinion, they are the best things since sliced bread! I have 12 and
will buy 10 more this year. I am replacing my Miller-type wood feeders with
them as fast as I can. As far as being durable, if you paint them (INSIDE
AND OUT) and store them away from chewing skunks, mice, etc. in the winter
they will last as long as your wood hives. However, the paint is vital, and
do not let anyone tell you it is not necessary. Those who tell you that have
not used them for 20+ years, nor talked to those who have.

Hope this helps

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, manufacturer of comb honey equipment
for beekeepers and Sundance pollen traps.
http://www.rossrounds.com