From:
Selkie Lass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 04:56:06 -0700
I sometimes get pretty dark wavx from my solar wax melter- but it is the very last wax that I get out of the slumgum when I render down old dark combs.
I have hypothesised that I could make it even darker by saving and dumping my slumgum into my old slow cooker with a bit of water, pouring the dark wax back in with it, and letting it "stew" for a day, then straining it.
The color seems to come from the debris and slumgum- anyone who has had a container of slumbem collect water knows that it quickly stains the water dark.  I believe some of the pigments are soluble, or at least will become suspended in wax.
Have you tried remelting your "chocolate" wax, and watched to see if any of the color settles out? Try melting it, and then putting it in a styrofoam cup to harden very slowly.
Insulate it with towels so that it takes as long as possible to harden.
If the color is from suspended particles, they will tend to settle towards the bottom of the cake of wax.
There is a local woman who makes candles. She mixes old and new wax, and he candles tend to be a dark, brassy color. It has become a sort of trademark of her candles. So, Lighter is not always better- smart marketers <can> make an asset of  what others percieve as a "defect"
Ellen
In Michigan