From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:52:03 -0400
Jim writes:  “The US has no right to do such a thing (ban bee imports)
under WTO rules.”

I’m sure you are technically right on this, Jim, but over the years I have
gotten the impression that the US and other economically heavyweight
countries do not strictly adhere to these rules unless it is convenient for
them to do so. So I am sure you won’t be shocked if our government doesn’t
just go ahead and ban bee imports anyway. I agree it's not likely though.
The Bush administration would probably not be inclined to go along with it
in the case of one of their staunchest Iraq War allies.

“So, we beekeepers take a hit, and the payoff is the complete
collapse of the WTO, maybe even NAFTA and CAFTA too.”

Please point me to the mailing list where you explain in detail what
eliminating the mechanisms by which international trade rules are at least
somewhat enforced will do for the world economy. :) I think your first line
of reasoning about banning bee imports from Oz not making a lot of sense
was a good one.  But I am sure you’ll agree, the Global economy is here to
stay, and nothing is going to turn back the clock on international economic
interdependence as flawed as its implementation might seem.

Steve Noble