Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:54:02 EST
Larry offers an interesting hypothesis regarding excessive early drones.
Poor mating conditions as he described are consistent with the type of
weather experienced last spring in most of the south.  Remember how late
package bees were last year partly due both to large demand, but also
due to the prolonged cool and wet spring of '96.  Remember also the
numerous reports of poor queen acceptance and quick and common
supersedure.  It is easy to accept the possibility that numerous early
drones might be another symptom of the less than idea conditions of the
spring of '96.

I cannot speak about the drone status of my bees as there has not been
accommodating weather to allow inspection.  Tuesday and Wednesday were
good days for cleansing flights in these parts (temps hit 50 dF) but
I was unable to make it to the my bees.  Alas, my day job got in the
way!

Jerry brings up an interesting threat, famous beekeepers either living
or deceased.  I guess Sherlock Holmes requires expanding the criterion to
living or dead, real or fictional.  But it's an interesting topic
nonetheless!  I recall that Winston Churchill kept bees, but I'm not
sure if that's fact or fiction.  Anyone know for sure?

Aaron Morris - a NOT famous beekeeper.