From:
Mike Griggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 1994 18:17:57 -0500
>Speaking of swarms, has anyone had luck with swarm traps and pheremone
>lures?  I lost a *February* swarm, a couple years ago, and wonder if I'd
>had a trap if they might have at least stayed in the vicinity...
>
>There's nothing like coming out to your backyard one balmy February morning
>and watching a cloud leaving your hive...
>
>Jane B.  [[log in to unmask]]

My hives are 50 miles from my house.  One rainy weekend this summer I had
to delay a manipulation by one day (decided to wait for better weather).
As I approached the first hive a swarm emerged.  If I had been able to make
the previous days visit I may have stopped the swarm.  I do understand the
sinking feeling of not being able to stop swarming. I still managed to get
good production from this hive by manipulating brood and queens between
hives to average hive strength between hives within my apiary.
Unlike my experiences with bees in North Africa (A. mellifera var.
intermissa) managing bees here in NY is very easy.  Guess the biggest
difference is availability of bees and supplies, but the bees here are
soooooo mellow, predictable and there is so much less variation between the
hives.  My experiences in Tunisia include extreme variation between
activity strength, and productivity  which always amazed me. :-) Mike