From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 07:09:59 -0400
Computer Software Solutions Ltd wrote:
> So, people are moving varroa infested bees into areas that did not have varroa.
> Why??

My guess is just the same way AHB has moved in some cases, not because of
beekeepers but our global transportation network. They probably came in by
boat or even plane. They have found AHB in boats, trucks and cars.

We had a full hive of AHB come into Maine in set of electrical equipment
sent in to a local power plant from South America. The crates came in
during the winter and were moved into warm storage. When the crates were
opened, the bees were still alive and well.
Had it been summer and the crates stored outside, the bees would have
easily setup shop somewhere else.

So the introduction could easily have been by something other than a
beekeeper. And not intentional or irrational.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME