From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:09:28 -0500
Hello Mike & All,

> Bob how do you treat the triples, with both products.

I have not treated triples with mite away 2 as i always have pulled the
bottom box by spring treatment time.

The few triples I have in the yards now were left for various reasons and
not my normal method of beekeeping as I run on pallets in doubles. *if* I
have a few in triples in a yard I do give the triple a 50 ml. dose of
apigard.

>  I currently put
the product between the second and third brood chamber if the third is
full of only honey,

I am sure a better method than mine. I simply place a spacer on top and
place the apigard on the tray in center. Do you place the apigard in the
center of the top of the second box Mike?

You are quite a bit farther north than me. I have completed two treatments
on my hives and will do the last this this week. I am a week later treating
than last year.

I hope to complete feeding ,treating and getting ready for winter by Oct.
6th.

Many of my doubles are solid bees in two boxes with brood in both boxes.
Some are solid bees in the spacers and hanging off the front. However after
the old bees die off the bees will be mostly in one box and a half boxes.

> How do you measure the 25
ml of apigard??

Randy Oliver had a picture in one of his articles and I measured and his
picture is right on. I did use a bull syringe to measure but found Randy's
hive tool measure the quickest and easiest method. Scope a dip with your
hive tool back about a inch and a half. Two scopes make 50 ml.
Randy might give the month of the article that has the picture.

if its a triple do you put the 50 ml on the triple?? and
do it three times.

Two 50 ml. should work but you need to consider temps etc.

> All the rest of the hives that I put apigard instead
of mite-way, cleaned it up in under seven days.

Your hives must be strong as I find you can tell the strength of a hive by
the way they remove the apigard.  *Dinks* always have got a little pile left
but strong hives you find the holder removed and in front of the hive. I
wonder about hives which remove the apigard so fast as the time period is
supposed to be 7 days minimum.

>when i used to treat for tracheal mites with menthol,

hardly any beeks use the bags these days. menthol on shop towels is the norm
and is an approved method.

>now that the golden rod is gone,

We are getting a strong goldenrod flow now. Bees are all over the bloom and
you can smell the nectar when in the yard. I don't like to let the bees
winter on only golden rod so have got the feed truck going and feeding. I
think the bees winter better when golden rod is mixed with sucrose.

Has been four years since we had a strong fall golden rod flow. I should be
catching and selling but thinking getting the bees ready for winter now. The
bees look better than they have in years so have got my fingers crossed they
will stay in excellent shape.

What are other BEE-L members bees looking like?

bob