From:
Tom Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 13:01:15 -0500
Allen,

Here is the information that I would like to include.  I have edited it
severely from the original text (will mail a copy so you can see the
original).  I will leave it up to you to decide if it is best to scroll or
use links to
jump to the different sections.  Will also enclose logo.  The type font that
usually use in letters and brochures is 12pt Century Gothic.  I would like a
font as large and legible as possible for the main text.

I would like the first page to have the logo, firm name, address, phone
and fax, the short "Thank you--- " paragraph, and the contents.  At this
point, I think I will omit an e-mail address as I am trying to disseminate
information, but eliminate correspondence.  Anyone seriously interested
can contact me by fax or phone; at some later time I may add the
e-address (and, when I have settled on an ISP!).

The last section - "FRAME DIMENSIONS ETC" is not yet ready.  Here I would
like to illustrate a round section frame with dimensions, and a super
drawing showing the follower boards and bee-spaces.  Also, how to
adapt some of the different supers in use in Europe.  This will take some
time, so please proceed without it but plan so it can be added later.

I am open to any suggestions.  Please let me know if this comes through OK.

Will also mail US$300.00 for expenses.            Many thanks  ----  Tom
-------------------------------

LOGO, Address etc. on front page:

ROSS ROUNDS, INC.
P.O. Box 485
                                                        Telephone
 330-837-9778
Massillon  OH  44648
                                                       Fax  330-837-9778

Thank you for visiting our Web Page.  Here you will find some answers to
your questions about Round Comb Section equipment, descriptions of
the equipment, and information on its use.

        GENERAL INFORMATION
        PRODUCT DESCRIPTIONS
        USE OF EQUIPMENT
        FRAME DIMENSIONS, & USE IN VARIOUS SUPER DESIGNS (Add this
later)

START OF NEXT SECTION

GENERAL INFORMATION

Our products are manufactured especially to help beekeepers produce
beautiful comb honey sections with a minimum amount of labor.  You
can obtain our equipment at reasonable prices from dealers in the USA
and several other countries, or directly from us in wholesale or
commercial quantities.  If you are interested in retail lots, we recommend
that you obtain your supplies from your dealer, as we do not maintain a
retail outlet.

There is a substantial market for good quality round comb honey sections,
offering excellent profit potential. Beekeepers in high yield areas should
seriously consider commercial production of large quantities of round
sections.  Those in areas with average nectar flows can still produce
substantial quantities of sections, but will need to pay more attention to
management technique.  With proper management, even beekeepers in
poor nectar areas can produce some sections for personal use or local
sale.

We strive to produce the highest quality goods possible.  We hope you will
try our equipment, and enjoy using it.

START OF NEXT SECTION

PRODUCT DESCRIPTIONS

Ross Rounds Round Section Equipment & Supplies are designed to make
comb honey section production easy and profitable for the beekeeper.
Your success and satisfaction are important to us.

ROUND SECTION FRAMES
The regular frames are brown in color to contrast with the white rings,
thereby eliminating costly mistakes from forgotten rings.  We recommend
using eight (8) Round Section Frames in a Langstroth 10-frame size section
super, 4 1/2 inches high, equipped with blocking and a frame-rest board
in each end, plus blocking and a fixed follower-board on one side and a
loose follower-board held in place by springs on the other side.  We
recommend that Beekeepers using Langstroth 8-frame size equipment
use seven (7) regular Round Section Frames plus thin follower-boards on
each side.  Each Round Section Frame holds four sections.

ROUND SECTION RINGS
Molded of natural white plastic to contrast in color with the frames.  The
inside of the ring is smooth - no projections to cut off with the honey.
 Each
section requires two of these rings - eight rings for each frame.  Open the
two frame-halves like a book, insert a ring into each cavity, lay a piece of
foundation on one half, place the other frame-half on top, and the frame
is ready to be placed in the super.

ROUND SECTION COVERS - CRYSTAL & OPAQUE
Crystal-clear molded plastic covers fit on both sides of the finished section
and are held in place by a wrap-around self-adhesive label. The covers
protect the section, and with the label, form a complete and attractive
package ready for sale.  Two cover pieces are needed for each section.
We also make a white translucent cover for those who prefer an opaque
cover on one side of the section.

ROLL LABELS
We furnish an attractive self-adhesive round section label that has proven
to be very popular and has wide product recognition - when people see
this label, they know the package contains comb honey.  The design
provides a space for your rubber stamp or stick-on label.  Labels now
have permanent adhesive, are tamper-resistant and will not peel, but
need to be placed straight the first time, as they are hard to adjust.  These
stock Labels are printed only in English, but others are available from
sources in Canada or France printed in French, or French and English.
Most commercial producers print their own labels, or sell without labels.

ROUND SECTION SUPERS, FOUNDATION, AND BOOKS
Round Section Frames, Rings, Covers, and Labels are Ross Rounds' only
products.  Wood Supers, Foundation, and Books for round section
production are available from major bee supply outlets.  Several good
comb honey books are on the market; of these, Richard Taylor's New
Comb Honey Book is said to be the easiest to read and follow.

Although round sections can be produced in the usual 4 3/4 inch high
comb honey supers, it is better to use a 4 1/2 inch high super made
especially for round sections or cut down other supers to 4 1/2 inches, as
this height reduces the opportunity for burr comb.  Several manufacturers
make a 4 1/2 inch high super just for round sections.  The proper
foundation is "thin super" comb honey foundation, size 4 in. x 16 1/2 in.,
thirty sheets per pound.

Most honey supers or racks in use in other countries can be adapted to
hold ROSS ROUNDS round section frames.

AVAILABILITY & SALES POLICY
Our products are available at retail and commercial prices through most
major bee supply outlets in the United States and Canada, and dealers in
Australia, Argentina, Chili, England and France.  We do not sell small
quantities at retail, and do not have a retail location.  We sell direct to
dealers and commercial beekeepers; requests for quotations are invited.
We also invite inquiries on commercial quantities for export.

START OF NEXT SECTION

HONEY  PRODUCTION  USING  ROSS  ROUNDS  SECTION  EQUIPMENT

We apologize for the length of the following instructions, but could find
no way to tell you these things in fewer words.  They also contain some
tips that will save time and money, that we have learned the hard
way.

Round section equipment makes comb honey production easy and
profitable for the beekeeper.  It requires about one fourth of the labor of
former methods, and produces a finished product that is attractively
packaged and durable enough to withstand handling. Any beekeeper
with moderate skills and a good nectar supply can produce round
sections.  If help is needed, a number of books are available that give
detailed information on management; one of the best is Richard Taylor's
THE NEW COMB HONEY BOOK  which describes several procedures for
section production.

ROSS ROUNDS  equipment  consists of brown  molded  plastic frames into
which are inserted white plastic section rings and a sheet of beeswax
foundation.  The frame is made in halves so that insertion of the rings and
foundation is easy.  These frames filled with rings and foundation are then
placed in a wood super or rack, and are ready to be filled with honey by
the bees.  Plastic covers are made to fit the top and bottom of the
sections, and a wrap-around label completes the package.  Covers can
be clear both top or bottom, or a clear cover on top and an opaque
cover on the bottom.  This last arrangement is preferred by some
commercial beekeepers.

The wood super itself is an important part of the system.  It's height is
four
and one-half inches, and it is fitted inside with end and side follower-
boards that are blocked out a bee-space away from the super walls,
following the principle of the old Kruse or Killion supers. One of the side
follower-boards is nailed in place over blocking to form a bee space, and
the other is held in place with super springs.  This super arrangement is
important because it encourages the bees to fill and finish the outside
combs, greatly reducing the possibility of cull sections.  After the bees
have finished the sections, the supers are taken off, and the frames
removed and separated into halves.  The sections are taken from the
frames, excess foundation removed with a small knife, plastic covers fitted
on top and bottom, and the sections finished with a wrap-around label.
In most areas one additional step is necessary to protect the section from
wax moth damage: the covered sections are placed in plastic bags,
tightly sealed, and placed in a freezer at 10 degrees F or less (0 is best)
for
at least twenty-four hours.  After freezing, the sections are allowed to
come up to room temperature before opening the bag in order to avoid
condensation on the sections.  The sections may be left frozen indefinitely
without crystallization, until removed for market.

Here are  some suggestions on assembling and using the equipment:

The ideal height for a round section super is 4 1/2 inches. When converting
supers to make round sections, it is helpful to cut the height down to 4 1/2
inches, which helps to avoid burr comb.  Old style wood section supers 4
3/4 inches high can be used without cutting  down, but to avoid burr
comb, remove them from the hive as soon as the sections are finished.
The thickness of the follower-boards and blocking can vary, but use
blocking that gives a  1/4 inch to 7/16 inch bee space between the
follower and the inside wall of the super.  Adjust the end followers so that
the round section frames fit snugly, but can still be easily moved from side
to side.  It is very helpful to buy a fully assembled Round Section Super
first, so you can see how it goes together and use it as a model.

Several USA bee supply manufacturers list the 4 1/2 inch high round
section supers, and kits that contain the necessary interior follower-boards
and super springs.  The proper foundation size is 4 inch x 16 1/2 inch "thin
super".  There are different ways to efficiently place rings and foundation
in the frames.  One way is to insert a hive tool in the slot at the end of
the
frame, and twist slightly to separate the halves. Open the halves like a
book and arrange a table full of the open pairs.  Take a handful of rings,
and place a ring on each cavity, positioning the ring with the notch side
down, and the wide parts of the rings next to each other along the
centerline of the frame.  Do not bother at this time to seat the rings in the
cavities - simply position them as accurately as possible while working fast.

Continue until there is a ring on each cavity of all the frames.  Then, using
two hands, adjust each ring to fit down flush in the cavity.  If the ring is
positioned properly, it will fit down snug and flush without force - if
resistance is felt, re-position the ring correctly.  Visually inspect the
table
full of frames to be sure there is a ring in each cavity; you will be sorry
later if you miss one!  If all is in order, lay a sheet of foundation on
every
other frame half, close the halves together, and place the frames in the
supers. Again inspect the work, looking down on the frames to see if
there is a white ring on both sides of each cavity, and that the frame
halves fit tightly together.  If all is in order, the supers are ready for
the
bees.  These inspections take only a few seconds, and save you time and
money.  The bees will put honey in the cavity, whether or not the section
rings are in place.  People have been known to put a super on the bees
with no section rings in the frames, but seldom do it a second time;  the
second inspection mentioned above will keep you from doing it the
first time.

After filling the frames with rings and foundation, place them in the super.
Insert the loose follower board, force the frames tightly together with a
hive tool, then use three super springs to hold the loose follower in place
and force the frames together.

When harvesting, place the filled frame on a table, insert the corner of a
hive tool in the end foundation slot, twist, and lift off the frame half.
 Turn
the sections flat on the table and lift off the other frame half.  When
enough supers have been emptied, separate each section from the
sheet of foundation, and trim excess foundation with a small knife.
Arrange rows of sections, place covers on one side, turn over all sections,
and place the other cover.  The sections may be labeled at this time, or
better, just before being sold, as some buyers want them unlabeled, or
with their own special label.  In any case, if you are in a wax moth area
(and most of us are),  seal the covered sections in plastic bags, freeze at 0
degrees F, and be sure to let the sections warm up to room temperature
before opening the sealed bag.

Some beekeepers refill the frames with rings and foundation immediately
after they are emptied at harvest, and place them on the bees for a
second or third filling.  Even if your area will not fill a super twice,
immediately filling the frames with rings saves some time in handling, but
be cautious about inserting foundation a season ahead, as it would need
be protected from wax moths, mice and dust.

When harvesting, unfinished sections can be grouped in supers, and
returned to a strong hive to finish, provided nectar is still available.
 This is
a good reason to harvest as soon as sections are filled and sealed, as this
usually leaves time to finish the culls into good sections.  Some people
have finished unsealed sections by placing them back on a strong hive,
and top feeding them with liquid honey, but this does not always work,
and it is probable that more have failed than have succeeded.  It is
much better to harvest promptly, and get any culls finished while
nectar is available.

START OF NEXT SECTION - TO BE ADDED LATER
ALLEN:  Please let me know if this transmission came through whole.

© 1995 Ross Rounds, Inc.