From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 20:49:23 -0700
> Quote: "Hormetic effects were also reported in the tests"

> What are "Hormetic effects"? Is this a misspelling?

Nope. The term apparently refers to beneficial effects from low doses of
something generally regarded as harmful or deadly.  Most references I found were
in relation to low dose radiation.

Here is a quote from a web page that came up within seconds after I initiated a
web search using WebFerret, as recommended in a previous post.

"Brucer observed that before World War I and continuing into 1930s about ten
articles a year referred to a hormetic effect. After World War II, twenty
articles per year mentioned a hormetic effect".

Visit http://www.angelfire.com/mo/radioadaptive/parthasar.html for more.  I have
a ton more, but they don't relate to what we are discussing, merely use the term
I searched: "Hormetic effects"

Good search tools are de rigeur to keep up with discussions these days, and make
digging up obscure terms and references a trivial exercise most of the time.

While talking about searches, I highly recommend our own BEE-L search at
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/BEE-L/

I don't know if most readers are aware of how advanced and intuitive is.  If
not, be sure to read the search help.

allen
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/diary/
Back in business.  Recent topics: feeders, wintering bee pictures, San Diego
meeting, etc.