From:
Bill Fernihough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 1995 07:20:34 -0800
         Reply to:   RE>Help with symptoms

This sure sounds like foulbrood.  First, treating with Teramycin is not a one
shot deal, it must be done every 10 to 14 days through the winter, or provision
made for a steady exposure to the antibiotic.  I feed the drug every 14 days in
a heavy sugar syrup mixture, and only put the drug in after the mixture has
cooled down to outside temperature.  Moisture and heat and sunlight are enemies
of Teramycin, and sun will destroy it immediatly, but it will last in water at
cold temperatures for about 10 days.
You should have your hive inspected and if the recommendation is to destroy it,
you should do so. Otherwise begin Teramycin treatment immediately.  Mix one
quarter spoonful in a quart of sugar syrup.  Put holes in the lid of the jar,
and turn it upside down over the hive, protected from the sun.  I put it over
the openings in the top cover, with an empty super around it.
Read some books on beekeeping in the meantime!