Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 23:27:56 EDT
The term CCD came about during a telephone conference of the CCD working
group, for all of the reasons cited by Joe:

Source:
http://maarec.psu.edu/pressReleases/FallDwindleUpdate0107.pdf

Best  Wishes,
Joe

As I remember, I brought up the question, since the cases that I saw in Fl
were clearly not a dwindle, and the word disease implies knowledge of what  it
is - which we clearly did not know.  The first reports from  investigations of
FL and PA bees used some of the older terms - disappearing,  dwindle, etc.

The group as a whole discussed naming,.  It was not any one person who  named
this.  We discussed whether dwindle was an adequate description,  concluded
that Collapse was a better term.  Disorder was offered as a term  that did not
pre-suppose a cause (it may, may not be a disease, etc.).   There was a
comment made that the term disappearing disease had a legacy of  the problem
disappearing before it could be solved.

We've all seen old papers that describe disappearing disease - but it is
always prudent to go find those papers and read them.

A few months ago, I was re-visiting some of those early reports of
Disappearing Disease, Dwindle, etc.

My 1940's Hive and the Honey Bee describes Disappearing Disease, not as  bees
disappearing, but as the disease that disappears!  So, just because  the
title of a paper says Disappearing Disease doesn't mean that it was defined  as
bees disappearing.  I've seen the term used both ways in some of the old  papers.

Jerry