From:
Rimantas Zujus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 12:20:32 +0100
Peter Fruehwirth writes:

>There you wrote about "Gabon tapes". Can you tell me, what kind of chemical
against Varroa is it?
I am from Austria and we are interested in serious and good methods against
varroa, also for beekeepers with more than 100 hives.
>In some regions in Austria we have problems with resistance against
Fluvallinat, so Apistan seems to be "out" in next years.

Dear Beefriends

Gabon tapes are veneer strips (wood) soaked with some sodium salt ( sounds
similar to nitrate: Natrio Nitrinas in Lithuanian). It differs from
Fluvallinat. We get Gabon from Check Republic.

I saw an influence of Gabon to Varroa mites in my beefriend's hive. Next day
the numerous dead mites were seen on the bee-entrance. After some weeks
while checking bee colony on the hive floor in brood chamber nearby vertical
board we saw a brown "hill" about 1 cm width, 1/2 cm height and length
between front and rear walls. It was a harvest :). My own "harvest" was much
smaller. I saw only some mites on entrance.

All the best

Rimantas Zujus
Kaunas
LITHUANIA