From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2015 13:27:49 -0800
"Which still leaves the question, why can't I find any work regarding tryptophan in pollen samples?"

There is a big demand to know full amino acid composition of various animal feeds.  Off hand I do not know if milk cows, hogs , beef cattle, sheep, etc all need slightly different amino acid profiles for maximum performance but it sure would not surprise me.  So, at some point someone did a full amino acid analysis of corn, soy beans, wheat and by products like defatted soy bean meal or the left over protein from corn after fermentation to make ethanol and everyone assumes those numbers are true all the time.  Very likely they are great approximations but not true as such values would be expected to vary from one cultivar of corn to another cultivar.  Ditto beans and wheat.

If we fed pollen to cattle or hogs I am sure we would have the same data on pollen.  But, pollen is consumed by bees, other bugs and as a human health supplement.  The people doing human health supplements do not give a hoot what is in their product as that business is snake oil driven mainly by advertising and packaging.  So, they have no financial incentive to do any analyses of any kind and generally don't.  If we want good data it looks to me like the bee industry needs to figure out how to pay for the data as they are the only ones who likely really care.

Dick

" Any discovery made by the human mind can be explained in its essentials to the curious learner."  Professor Benjamin Schumacher talking about teaching quantum mechanics to non scientists.   "For every complex problem there is a solution which is simple, neat and wrong."  H. L. Mencken