From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 10:19:57 -0500
On 26 Jan 97 at 0:58, John Taylor wrote: Re: Wintering Report

> hive brought a strong humm.  After snow about two weeks ago, followed
> by single digit temperatures, we had a day back up around 60 on the
> 22nd.
>
> Checking the bees this last warm day revealed dead bees in the reduced
> entrance.  There is a second entrance in the front of the top feeder,
> so I initially wasn't too worried.  Except I didn't see any bees
> flying.  Removing the entrance reducer revealed a solid mass of wet,
> dead bees, that looked as if they had been getting ready for a
> cleansing flight (lots of yellow specks attached to the bees).
> Opening the hive showed plenty of stores left and every last bee dead.

I think the key here is that cold snap. Dr. Nasr did work on "The
thermo-regulation of the cluster" He found that bees which were carrying
T-mites would die during cold weather. It seems that when the temperature
drops the bees need considerably more oxygen intake to keep the cluster
temp up. As the bees trachea became more clogged by mites there was less
space to absorb oxygen, they suffocated and became chilled to the point of
dying.
        This is one reason that we up here in the cold suffer more winter losses
from T-mites, than say for example someone in Florida!!
The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive Unit 2, Orillia,
Ontario, Canada. L3V 6H1
David Eyre, Owner. Phone/Fax 705 326 7171
Dealers for E.H.Thorne & B.J.Sherriff UK
http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks