From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 11:59:05 -0700

> >Live and let die is not the only way to select for varroa tolerance.

This is a point that I continually try to make.  However, to do otherwise
requires testing some other metric of varroa resistance, such as sampling
every colony for mite levels (or as Steve points out, DWV resistance).

Then it requires the removal of any colony needing treatment from the
drone-producing pool in your mating yards--this is tough, since mating nucs
may contain mite susceptible drones.

Also, varroa adaptation is a bell curve, rather than black/white.  You will
get some fall/winter losses in the less adapted colonies in your operation.
This hurts if you have almond contracts in February.

Allen, I am in total agreement with you on pushing queen producers to
eliminate mite-susceptible lines of bees.  But first I wanted to see what it
was like to walk in those shoes before asking someone else to gamble their
entire business.  As any of the others on this List who have tried it can
attest, it can be a tough walk.

However, I see the industry making positive strides, led by small and
mid-size breeders.  I commend you all heartily!

Randy Oliver