From:
Paul Oliphant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2010 10:28:15 -0500
Randy and Allen,

I have also been looking at how to optimize splits and colony bee
production.  In a APIACTA 43 (2008) article "Single-Frame Method to
Obtain Several Age-Specific Immature Worker or Drone Honey Bee Cohorts"
(http://www.apimondia.org/apiacta/articles/2008/sammataro_finley.pdf)
Jennifer Finley and Diana Sammataro found that queens in small colonies
(5 frames of bees) layed 23 eggs per hour. Mid sized colonies (9 frames
of bees) produced twice as many bees, 45 eggs per hour. Interestingly
Large colonies (15 frames of bees) the queen only layed 25 eggs per
hour. So there is definably a time to split the colony before the queen
slows down her egg laying rate.

If you want to optimize the egg laying rate of your queen, this data
indicates it is around 8 to 10 frames of bees and that 15 is too big.

Randy's experiance of a sizing nuc that is initially small to accept the
new queen but that will grow quickly with the emergence of the sealed
brood with new bees to the optimize size for the new queen's egg laying
is a good and perhaps optimum method. 2-3 frames of brood and bees =>
emerge to become 4-6 frames of bees Total of 6 (2+4) to 9 (3+6) frame of
bees.
- Paul