From:
Jim Osborn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 1994 19:56:04 -0800
Joanne Hulbert ([log in to unmask]) writes:
> Instead of knocking on the hive, which my father advised me not to
>do for the same reasons Hugo mentioned, I have instead resorted to a
>reliable Littman Cardiology II stethoscope, which I have found to be
>useful for more than just on my regular job. The 'scope has been so
>successful that I have even managed to listen in on quite a few
>intimate conversations that actually go on between the bees as they
>while away those long, quiet winter days and nights.

I tried a stethoscope an RN friend gave me, probably a cheap throwaway
from the ER, and came up empty, couldn't hear a thing, because of
poor coupling to the box wall.  I can hear all sorts of interesting
stuff with my ear mashed against the box, and do so regularly all
year.  This time of year they're pretty quiet, but humming nicely.
Does the Littman Cardiology II have something soft that'll mate well
to a pine board?

I'm still threatening to instrument my three hives for monitoring from
the house, some 50 feet away.  Thought I'd see if I could weatherize
a baby monitor, as an afforable option.