From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 2017 08:04:56 -0800

> >I have been playing with Randy's mite model and am wondering how to
> measure mite immigration.  Anyone know of any methods good methods for
> measuring mite immigration?

Hi Noah,

I've spent considerable time on that very subject, and have an article in
prep on it.  Other researchers have previously used a straightforward
method:
1.  Eliminate *all * mites from a hive by applying an effective miticide
(or combination of miticides) until no more mites can be recovered, and
natural mite fall drops to zero.

2.  From that point on, continue to apply the treatment(s), so that no
mites could start reproducing (the treatments must be confirmed to be 100%
efficacious).

3.  Insert a stickyboard into the hive, and count the number of fallen
mites every couple of days, replacing with a new stickyboard each time.
Any mite drop would necessarily be of mites that immigrated into the hive
from outside.

A few studies have given us some hard data on these counts.  However, I'd
love to see current numbers for rural, suburban, and urban areas across the
country.  Based upon what I've observed in my own hives, I suspect that
many will be surprised at how high the numbers can be.  If anyone wishes to
collaborate, please email me off list.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA