From:
Brian Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2008 04:50:37 -0400
On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 23:20:58 -0500, Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Moving south is a sound business practice. Keeping thousands of hives in the
>north over winter is risky.
>If keeping bees in the north was a sound business method then commercial
>beeks would be staying north.

IMO wintering over even here in the Tundra of Mn is way less risky then sharing the latest nasties
with other bees in almonds or losing bees enroute to CA.

Anyone with years of  experience in wintering bees in the north realize its a way to get a decent
break in the brood cycle and there is never a reason then to deal with mites other then in fall.
Most stationary beeks up here never treat in spring... we simply don't have to....and as you point
out Bob, you control mites you minimize viruses and other complications.