From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 May 1996 14:33:44 -0600
Okay,  I got  the correct proportions:

No more than 5% borax, mixed into a thick syrup (Corn or Cane), and
applied in doses of a drop or two where ants travel.

Questions:

1. Will this work on *all* ants, or only sugar loving ants?  Is there
something to add to get the protein loving ones -- the ones that eat
our brood if they can get at it???

 And

2. Has anyone come up with a convenient small dispenser -- sort of like
the old ant traps?  We will need to make manyl hundreds, so things
like jars are a little awkward, and breakable.

A consideration is that these little traps will be dispersed here and
there where required and may never be picked up again if lost in the
grass.  Moreover, they may be stepped on, run over by a truck -- or a
forklift, so they shouldn't shatter into dangerous fragments.

They should be about an ounce in interior size, environmentally
friendly (I hate that expression), and be able to easily  have holes made
that are slightly too small for a bee to enter.   They should be
able to keep water (rain) from damaging the contents when under a
hive.  Dixie cups?  Cream containers from restaurants?  I know there
is something perfect for the job -- but what is it???

I thought of old queen cages, but they are not quite right -- too
absorptive, and subject to water entry.

Any ideas?

TIA

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>