From:
ARTHUR SKIPPER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 09:00:34 -0500
I find this letter in poor taste.  It is apparent that the writer has not
tried to make a living with their bees. Stop the government support, and the
slave labor prices being paid to workers, and put the other country's
producers under the same restriction, and the US producer will match prices
against any other country on the planet.

I do not wish to belittle anyone who is a hobbyist or sideline beekeeper,
but the difference in commercial and sideline is as vast as space it's self.
The days of making a living with 500 to 750 hives past into history 20 years
ago unless you happen to have someone paying your bills for you. The farmer
who has 1000 acres to pollenate can not be trying to deal with someone who
has 100 to 300 hives, otherwise he will not have time to take care of his
crops.  With the cost of doing business increasing at a rate that is far out
distancing the rate of increase in income, many times the only way to go is
to get bigger.

The Belle's have done as much or more for the bee industry around the world
as anyone in the pasted 20 years. Horace Bell has paid a fair wage for a
days work according to many of his past employees.  Further more, no farmer
has ever been cheated on the number of bees he got for pollenation to the
best of my knowledge.  To belittle their situation is insensitive at best.

With the ever increasing birth rate around the world the demand for more and
more food, it is paramount that we increase the number of bees available for
pollination of crops.  To do otherwise is just asking for starvation on a
scale that can not be imagined.

There are many problems in the world.  Third world countries have more than
their fair share it seems, but the world powers can not continue to destroy
themselves in the hope of brings some of them into the twenty first century.
This country would not be in the shape it is in today if it stopped foreign
aid.  The people of this country are about fed up with the increases in
taxes for foreign aid and the decreases in benefits and services we receive.

This is only my opinion and I hope I have not been insensitive to anyone.  I
can not standby and be witness to anyone throwing stones at one of the best
friends beekeeping has had in resent history.  The Belles have my deepest
sympathy.