Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2012 11:57:26 -0400
> We waste quite a bit of burlap as we use a crumpled paper and get flaming.
> Slowly add the burlap till flame is seen.

Maybe burlap varies in how it burns depending on source.  We use burlap
all the time and never have a problem lighting it or keeping it going.

We cut our burlap into 2" to 3" wide strips on a band saw and store it in a drum
with a lid. Very quick.  We carry the current needs in a smoker box or dry bag.

Burlap must be dry to burn well,  Trying to light a piece which was in a smoker that
went out is a waste of time.  It is damp.  Use a fresh piece.

To light using paper, less is more.  A square of newspaper must be _no bigger_ than
7" x 7".  Bigger does not work.

A small strip of burlap (~3" x~ 20") should be ready.

Empty the smoker.

Crumple  the paper (loosely) and light it.  Wait a moment unless it is windy.

Drop it to the bottom of the smoker and puff until it the paper is _completely_ on fire. (Don't rush)

When it is almost burnt.  Loosely push a little burlap into the smoker.

Puff several time carefully until you are satisfied the burlap has caught and is smoking well.

Put the smoker down and walk away.  You have won the smoker-lighting contest in just a few seconds!

I learned this from a woman who worked in the bees with her husband.   He would walk into the yard and lift a lid, pull a frame, and say, "Where IS that  smoker?" (Names are changed to protect the innocent.)

That smoker  will burn the full five minutes on that charge, every single
time, but if you want to use it, as soon as that first scrap is smoking well,
shove in several more scraps of burlap, depending on your smoker size,
and stuff more chunks into your pocket.  We only use the biggest ones,
with shields.  The little ones are a joke IMO.

On a windy day, we just dip a scrap of burlap into our water bucket and
stuff it on top of the load in the smoker.  That slows the action down and
prevents sparks or flaming.

> A stopper (wood etc) can conserve smoker fuel  but with smoker boxes
>we rarely use.

Same here.  To slow or stop the smoker, we just pack it down with a hive
tool and put it into the box.  It may still be smoldering at the next yard if
done right, but not make smoke along the way.

To increase the smoke, we loosen up the burlap with a hive tool or pull a
piece or two out and stir.  If doing that on a windy, dry day be careful,
though.  Smoldering burlap can explode into flame when pulled out of the
smoker.