From:
Malcolm Roe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 1995 13:55:05 +0100
Until recently I wouldn't have posted on a subject like this but there
must be at least 25 beekeepers from the UK subscribed to Bee-l now.  I'd
be interested in your impressions of the new Bee Health Inspection
Service and the Regional Bee Inspectors.  Also, all I know about is the
arrangements in the nine regions of England.  What's happening in the
rest of the UK?

I met our Inspector, Beulah Cullen, on Wednesday at a meeting of my
local beekeeping association.  She was enthusiasic about her
responsibilities and very approachable.  There seems to be a more
pro-active attitude than previously with a much greater emphasis on
education.  Mind you, with such a small number of inspectors it will be
essential to rely on beekeepers becoming more self-sufficient in disease
detection.

I was impressed with the demonstration/talk given by Dr Cullen.  She gave
a demonstration of disease inspection on a couple of association hives
(including finding a small amount of sacbrood that I don't think any of
us were aware of).  We then returned to the classroom to look at a number
of frames supplied from Luddington that were infected with AFB, EFB and
some of the secondary infections that can confuse diagnosis.  A very
useful evening.  I did wonder though, how much this was typical of what's
happening throughout the country and how much it was just Dr Cullen's
obvious enthusiasm for her new job.

--
Malcolm Roe                                Phone  :  +44 1442 345104
Crosfield Electronics Ltd                  Fax    :  +44 1442 343000