From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2008 09:18:40 -0600
Hello All,

I think the main issue about N. ceranae is the way the worlds researchers
missed N. ceranae.

N. ceranae is not *new* and has a huge foothold around the world.

Quote the last sentence of the Australian study (pg.14)

"The extent of infected samples detected in multiple states indicates that
N. ceranae has been in Australia for some time and that any attempts at
eradication would be unlikely to be successful"

I continue to fight N. ceranae in my two test yards. There clearly is a
threshold level at which treatment of the colony is a waste of time and
money. Also keeping dinks around with heavy N. ceranae problems hurts the
entire apiary.

I have drenched some high spore count hives up to four times (as per Dr.
Mussen) and still seen the colony crash. One of the worse scenarios is when
the N. ceranae infested bees jump ship and drift to other colonies at this
time of year. Which infest again those colonies making their winter survival
suspect.

As the study says I also believe N. ceranae played a much larger role in CCD
than many researchers want to admit.

I have always tried to simplify beekeeping for those without microscopes or
ways to test their hives. The easiest way to detect N. ceranae in your hives
(other than testing) is to give each hive a certain amount of syrup. Strong
hives which refuse to take feed almost always are heavily infested. However
at this point some are over what I now *name* as NOSEMA CERANAE THRESHOLD .
I am convinced such a threshold exists.

Future research:
Next year I will look at simply depopulating hives over Nosema ceranae
threshold and see what effect it has on the apiary.  Also ALL dead outs will
get an acetic acid treatment before reuse and not just ones I think might
benefit.

Actually the Australian study was simply a study to detect N. ceranae spores
with a PCR. Really tells nothing about levels in apiaries or even suggests a
method for control of what seems to me to be an upcoming problem. I have
discussed N. ceranae and ways to control with Australian beeks.

*If*

One ignores the several hives in the apiary with bees so sick they will not
take feed then the problem will spread to other hives. I think there are
some hives which display N. ceranae tolerance but when infested by robbing
and drifting workers with high spore counts many of those crash also in
time.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison