Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2012 13:16:54 -0400
We have been discussing the use of expanded polystyrene
(EPS, AKA Styrofoam) equipment, along with other topics like our
experience with ammonium nitrate in smokers. over at the
honeybeeworld.com forum:
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=348&start=50#p1636

Recently, an interesting observation was made in regard to queen
introduction success.  From a small and limited sample, we are
seeing the possibility that new plastic boxes may cause problems
with queen acceptance.  Older boxes, not so much.

We love EPS boxes and I have gone over to them entirely, but
now we are wondering if there could be something to this chance
observation.

I have been recommending airing out and weathering new boxes
 for some time now, but this seems to bear out my suspicions
that new EPS equipment outgases a bit at first.  I checked
and it seems that other than polystyrene, the only other substance
mentioned in manufacture is pentane gas which is odorless and
only slightly toxic, but I wonder about mold releases, etc.

Are others on the list using EPS (BeeMax or Swienty) boxes and
seeing any such effects?

Any plastics engineers or technicians on the list?