Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2017 15:37:38 -0500
Unfortunately we see a fair bit of spring dwindling, a queen and a small group of bees. I only notice this at first spring inspection when the temperature has got to 60' F. The queen is worth saving if there are multiple eggs in the cells which means the queen wants to get going but there isn't enough support from the workers. I make up a mini mating nuc using workers from another healthy colony & a block of candy and a couple of hours later introduce the queen.  Keep in-side for 4 days then put outside and check in 2-3 weeks. If they have drawn new comb and she's laying worker brood she can be used again.
With the original hive I discard the remaining workers and fumigate the combs with acetic acid before using again.