From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:28:24 -0500
We have been discussing the role of microflora in honey bee health for some years now. Martha Gilliam really broke the ground on this, and then retired. It is clear, however, that nobody has a handle on it yet. What concerns me is that folks that are quick to condemn the wanton use of "antiobiotics" are eager to jump on the "probiotic" bandwagon.

The fact remains that the microbial world is a scene of many battles, and it is not clear whether a distinction between pro and anti is meaningful at this time. Obviously, the bottom line is the survival of the host. But to "take sides" and introduce so-called probiotics is to proceed with inadequate information. Sometimes [doing] nothing is a real cool hand.

QUOTED --

We believe that a strategy focused on how the natural
occurring microbiota contributes to colony health and
nutrition is paramount for the development of a sustainable
system. Many questions concerning the natural state of a
healthy microbial community will be difficult to address due
to the putatively facultative nature of most honey bee
symbioses, and the complexity and plasticity of the social
system. Linking the microbiota to its functional role is
critical because functional stability may be achieved despite
a large variation in the microbial population size or composition.

An emerging paradigm of colony health: microbial balance of the honey bee and hive (Apis mellifera)
K. E. Anderson • T. H. Sheehan • B. J. Eckholm • B. M. Mott • G. DeGrandi-Hoffman
Insectes Sociaux, 2011, Volume 58, Number 4, Pages 431-444