From:
John Burgess <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Burgess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 19:09:44 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
> or 2) The mites would feed on body parts less important for flying.
> What do we know about the feeding habits of varroa on brood?  Do they
> favor one body part over another?  Is there any data that shows what
> happens to a bee after different parts have been chewed upon in the
> pupal stage by mites<snip>
>One of the saddest sights I've seen in the beeyard is hundreds of
twisty->winged
> bees crawling around in the grass, unable to fly and not allowed back in
> the hive.  Maybe their sisters, also bitten by mites but in a different
> place, are able to function normally.

Although it is possible that mite bites can cause deformities in bees, the
major cause of wing deformities is a virus infection transmitted by the
mites. In the absence of viruses in the colony, mite populations of many
tens of thousands can be tolerated without significant deformities or colony
collapse.
The work of Brenda Ball at IACR Rothampstead has identified the viruses
responsible, and there is much useful information with photos on their
web-site
http://www.iacr.bbsrc.ac.uk/res/depts/entnem/research/briangrp/varnorm/tvarn
orm.html

John Burgess, Editor Gwenynwyr Cymru, The Welsh Beekeeper