From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 06:42:59 -0800
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:(About queen replacement in the northern tier of states)
Self help will. Once a program is underway, you'll all be amazed at
the quality of the stock you will be able to raise. All I can add is:
Just do it!

A northern beekeeper speaks.  A southern beekeeper replies, my own thoughts, not necessarily those of other beekeepers here in the south.

Queens raised from local stock who exhibit successful behaviors and traits are the way to go IMHO.  Queen replacement at the end of the honey flow or early fall provides fresh, young queens for the succeeding spring buildup (Also one step in swarm prevention).  Queens from northern stock, according to current thought, should also be free of AHB traits.  Git 'er done you northern beekeepers.

Personally, I am hoping to provide locally generated, controlled genetics queens from my own local area down here.  Working on a way to ensure that Africanized genetics are NOT incorporated into the mating scheme.

Mike  Located in southern Alabama