From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 1997 21:01:58 +0900
Judy wrote:
>I am a newbie beekeeper looking for info on treating beestings.  I
>understand the part about scraping the stinger out.  My question is how do
>you cope with/treat the swelling/itching that goes on for 3 or 4 days after
>the fact?  The itching is AWFUL.  I tried an over the counter antihistamine
>last time and that helped some.  Is there any topical ointment that is
>effective?  My bee books don't address the subject.  (must be some macho
>beekeeper thing).

Judy,
After 100 or 200 stings you either won't feel a thing (after the initial
prick) or you will give up beekeeping, heh, heh, heh.
However in the meantime, make a paste with bicarbonate of soda and a little
water and spread over the sting area - it does stop the itching.  I found
that the sting brought itself back to my attention when I absentmindedly
scratched the itch.  Re-apply as necessary - no need to expensive
antihistamines.
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
j.h. & e. mcadam<[log in to unmask]