From:
Karen Oland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 12:49:02 -0400
In TN, I recently picked up an old hive from a person that had
just purchased a house. A previous owner had had bees there with
his neighbor. The neighbor said no-one had messed with them for
at least two years. Only one hive remained - two brood boxes,
three supers, all stacked up, completely propolized together (still
can't get the top cover off the top box), many frames starting
to disintegrate.  But, the queen was laying the most solid combs
of brood I've ever seen, about 96% of each deep frame, with brood
in both deeps and one super. The inspector went through the entire
thing with me. No sign of any disease, nor of any varroa. There were
no medications still in the hive - no idea if any had been used
previously. I've moved them here (what fun, the boxes are dry rotting
and there are holes everywhere, which all had to be taped up, after
splitting the mess into two piles for transport). I plan to split
the brood and let them raise some new queens.

However, they are not gentle - they attacked the home owner when he
approached (in the flight path - they had only a small opening through
to their wooded location). After being here for about a month, they are
a little calmer, but still don't like being approached much (could be
because I've been working on the upper supers of honey, trying to get
them to rob them down into a new super.. hehe). Hopefully, their varroa
resistance will not be lost, but they will calm down somewhat if crossed
with the drones in my other hives (a real mix, some of everything).