From:
Matthew Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 15:25:47 -0800
Hi Bee-Lers,
APHIS is reviewing and updating its regulations controlling the interstate transport of pests (diseases, parasites, fungi, insects, etc.) that might affect plants or plant beneficial insects. The original comment period ended Monday. I just received official confirmation that this deadline has now been extended by 30 days, so there is time to read and respond to the APHIS proposal and to let more people know that this review is happening.
For the first time (as far as we are aware) the new regulations actually state that pollinators are important and there is language about limiting the release of organisms that could harm "important" native and managed pollinators. The regulations consider the risk of indirect injury, disease, or damage to beneficial organisms, and are looking for comments and suggestions on the most appropriate way of defining the importance and availability of pollinators. To quote from the Fed Register:
"Our determination as to the ``importance'' of a natural enemy or a pollinator would be based on our review of available information in the scientific literature regarding the role of those organisms in suppressing plant pest or weed populations or in the pollination of crops and native plants."
If pollinators are to get the best protection, these regulations need to recognize the importance of both managed and unmanaged populations. Any comments members of this list can submit to APHIS would be a valuable contribution.
The second significant change is in Sec 330.203 (see below).  The regulations list species that are not considered to be pests, and which "may be moved within the continental United States without a permit if they are moved from populations located within the continental United States." The movement of everything else is regulated. We believe this is a positive move as apposed to the other way round with a short list of problem species that are regulated and then endless debate over whether other species should or should not be added to the list.
Sec. 330.203  Requirements for the release into the environment of regulated organisms.
    (a) Environmental release of [any] plant pests [including the monarch]. The release into the environment of plant pests is prohibited except under the following circumstances:
    (1) A plant pest that IS LISTED in Sec. 330.202(c)(1) may be released into the environment within the continental United States without a permit if the organism was collected from a population located within the continental United States.
    (2) A plant pest that IS NOT LISTED in Sec. 330.202(c)(1) may be released into the environment in the United States only for research or testing purposes and only if the release is authorized by an APHIS permit and is conducted in accordance with any safeguards assigned as a condition of the permit. Instructions for applying for a permit are found in Sec. 330.205.
    (b) Environmental release of organisms for the biological control of weeds.
Although the regulations above are positive there are also concerns. The list of organisms that can be released without review or a permit include many butterfly species that conservationists (Bob Pyle and Lincoln Brower among them) are concerned should not be allowed to be released.
These regulations are important and I urge anyone who is interested (and has the time!) to read them and comment. The Society will be developing comments and can send them out when we have a draft for people to 1) copy as much as you like, 2) sign on too. We should have a draft by the end of December. Please let me know at [log in to unmask] if you would like additional information.
The full announcement (about 40 pages long) was made in the Federal Register of 10/9/01, available on-line at: http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-IMPACT/2001/October/Day-09/i25229.htm. (The principal section discussing pollinators is about one sixth of the way through the announcement.)
Thanks,
Matthew
Matthew Shepherd
Director, Pollinator Program and Publications

The Xerces Society
4828 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland, OR 97215
Tel: 503-232 6639   Fax: 503-233 6794
Email: [log in to unmask]
The Xerces Society is an international nonprofit organization
dedicated to protecting biological diversity through the
conservation of invertebrates.
For information and membership details, see our website:
http://www.xerces.org/