From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:02:39 -0500
The joys of preparing honey bees to get through winter is a new activity
for me - Second season here in southern Manitoba, Canada.

Since the climate dictates that bees will be hive bound from the
beginning of November to the beginning of April (average dates), they
have to have adequate carbohydrate stores.

It is considered reasonable to have 90lbs (40 kg) ripened and tucked
away per colony.

After the Canola nectar flow and supers removed, brood boxes tend to be
light / near empty of stores. Brood is still being produced. Colony
starvation is at this period in time (End of August/Early Sept) easily
achieved.

Hence, individuals choice of sugar supplies are fed via. various techniques.

Wise voices suggest 5 gallons of properly prepared material per colony.

During the last two years I have noticed that many colonies do put the
liquid away, gain weight and are pleasant to lift to one side. Moving
through an apiary, mental conversation mutters - "ah! that's real full",
or "how did they pack all that into that small box".

Visit the same boxes 14+ days later and when testing the weight, often a
   loss has occurred. To the extent that 2+ gallons have to be put back
on to feed to get the required weight.

The fall period has allowed continuous flying, late pollen collection,
drone destruction and population reduction as summer bees fly off to the
great sunflower in the sky.

I wonder if others have noticed a trend in increased requirements to get
colonies up to winter weight.

My stocks are based on Kona Carnolians (2004) and local selected Queens
bred for our climatic imitation of being in a freezer with the light on!

Regards,
Peter
Pembina Valley
Central Southern Manitoba