Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:02:55 -0500
bathbeekeeper said;

Why only  test Imidaclorpid? Do other pesticides do the same thing at the
same low  concentrations?

As I recall, apistan and cumophose also compromised the  bees immune systems

I would  guess that there are a load of things that bees bring into the
colony that  "compromise" their immune systems, especially after reading the
stuff that  Jerry uncovered when he was bomb sniffing for DARPA.

We've found over 220 non-pesticide chemicals in beehives that may be toxic
and its reasonable to expect some of these also affect immune systems.  I
spent 30 years looking at environmental pollutants in beehives - those from
gasoline and diesel included.

I also did a lot of work on low level, chronic exposure issues, sorting
through many end points for DoD.  Frankly, lots of things affect bees at  low
levels - but many of the effects are transitory - just like people get
drunk, so do bees.  And just like us, most recover.  Some of  us get colds and
sometimes pneumonia, others never have either.  Bee  colonies also vary.

HOWEVER, as a reviewer, I would generally reject any paper showing a
sublethal impact of A pesticide, if the study lacks a positive control.   When
looking at an effect such as an increase of Nosema, one needs to have a  blank
control - NO added stress, the pesticide treatment(s), AND a third set of
bees with a non-pesticide stressor (this is where the researcher has to be
innovative, but one should be looking for a stress factor such as extra
handling  of the bees, nutrition, cold, etc).  The point is that many thing
compromise immune systems  and resistance to pathogens, pests, etc.   At the
low levels of pesticide being tested, one has to determine whether the  effect
observed is unique to the chemical or simply a general stress  response.

In many of the supposed low level pesticide lab trials that I've seen, the
control is simply bees in cages left alone (unhandled).  The pesticide
treated bees are often picked up and feed, or put  to sleep and topically
challenged (a drop of the chemical applied).  In both cases, these an added
stress that the controls are NOT subjected to.   When Larry Atkins was  still
alive, he and I both had long discussions about the short cuts being taken
by many investigators which often had as great or greater effect than the
chemical itself.

And  no, I did not see nor review the Pettis paper.

Jerry