From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:36:36 -0400
John -
It probably isn't worth the time and trouble to try extracting this honey.
Most of it is granulated by now, and it is of more use to the bees at this
time of year.  Many of my colonies still have nearly  a super of honey
still unused at this point, too.

Just set the supers w/ old honey down, i.e., set the super of old honey on
the bottom board, and set the brood chambers on that.  The bees will
recycle the honey and move it up, using it to fuel the colony buildup.  The
queen normally will not venture down into the super and lay eggs there, at
least at this time of spring. After about 2 weeks weeks most of the honey
should be out of the super, and you can set the brood chambers back down,
putting the super back on top to catch the new season's honey.

Some colonies might be a bit sluggish about moving the honey up, in which
case you can lightly scratch the cappings to expedite their removal of the
old honey.
As the colony grows they will make good use of this honey, as there are not
many sources of nectar out there yet.