From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 12:20:29 -0500
>Have you overwintered with the OMFs? Or was this just from spring to fall?
>Bill Truesdell, Bath, ME

Reply:
No. The studies were done to see if they reduced mite count during the
period between spring and fall treatments, so they could be used as an IPM
tool. By the way, we didn't set out to prove anything. We wanted to see. If
they really worked I would be the first to promote their use, because I
want to get away from chemicals as much as anyone else. In fact, I sold all
my bees in 1990, partly because of the prospect of having to use chemicals.
I think the non-chemical technique that has the most going for it is the
removal of infested drone brood. And if beekeepers are willing to try it, I
think they will find it not to be that much extra work -- like Lloyd said.
What Dr. Calderone meant when he said it was not practical is -- for
commercial beekeepers with many hundreds or thousands of hives.

Wintering is another ball of wax. Probably screens don't hurt, but it is
hard to see how they would help -- particularly if the hive is standing in
snow. Upper entrances are the key to wintering. If moisture gets trapped
under the cover, there will be mortality. I don't think what is going on 10
to 20 inches below the cluster makes much difference.

PB