Scott Koppa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2018 11:38:10 -0500
Content-Type:
multipart/mixed
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1235 bytes) , Small mite closeup.jpg (116 kB)
> Yes, we've all seen phoretics on tergites or the thorax and other places, but I've always questioned if those mites are just holding on without feeding. The ones discussed as feeding are more commonly found tucked between the sternites having pierced the flexible tissue in the abdominal area where coincidentally, fat bodies are generally believed to be.  

So I was doing a postmortem on a hive that I found dead on my rounds during the two-day break in the deep freeze we have had, and I decided to break out the dissecting microscope to do a little close-up work. I liked Bill's description of the feeding position of mites (I had not heard/read this before), and decided to go looking for an example. For me, seeing is a whole lot more memorable than just reading. Enjoy.

I also noticed a propensity for the infestation of multiple mites per bee rather than single mites. Had I known this beforehand, I would have tracked the actual percentages (no mites, single mites, multiple mites). Next time.

S

Skillman, NJ

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2