From:
Ron & Eefje <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 07:34:56 +0200
Subject: [BEE-L] the queen excluder

> Plastic vs. Wire excluders
>
> Walter

Apart from the plastic and wire excluders that you named there are also
other types. I have some made from sheet metal, having oblong slots pressed
in them. One type is okay because part of the metal out of the slots is
folded back, creating nice round edges and nice slots for the bees to
manoeuvre through. The other type is less suited, with sharp edges as a
result of the pressed-out metal, on which the bees would scrape and cut
themselves. The metal wire excluders are stiff and hold an even distance
from the frames below and above them, the plastic might sag and easily get
glued with propolis or wax to the frames in the brood box. The wire
excluders also have the advantage of a lager area where the bees can move
through than the other types. The plastic type in my possession is really
not that good either, since is also has fairly sharp edges left in the slots
from the pressing process.
So I use metal wire excluders when honey supers are added.

Ron van Mierlo