Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2013 19:44:57 -0700
> When preparing doubles for almonds in late winter, the temptation is to
> reverse the brood chambers of colonies that have moved into the upper
> chamber, since the cluster would often quickly expand upward.   But ever
> since we discussed this subject previously, I've questioned  whether that
> was a good idea after all.

IMO, reversing is more about getting excess feed down below where it
will be uncapped and moved -- stimulating the colony and out of the way
of brood rearing up top than anything else.

Reversing can also force conservative bees to expand the nest.  For the
same reason, reversing can be hard on prolific bees since they are
already putting out to the max.

Reversing is an expert technique and can be a very quick fix in the
hands of a keen observer, but harmful in the hands of beekeepers who
can't read their bees, especially in climates where extremes can happen
unexpectedly.