From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 1997 22:44:11 -0600
I don't think there is any doubt whatsoever that acid inverted feed can
kill wintering bees en mass.

As far as the action of tartric acid in sugar syrup, I am not sure what
the effects are and how it works.  Nonetheless, my policy in such cases
is this: if in doubt, take the safe, proven route that is followed by
those who have been successful over the long run.

In the case of adding acid to feed, It is obvious that the small benefits
are by far outweighed by the potential losses.  I would ask to see
research that says it is beneficial and safe, rather than research that
proves it isn't.  After the severe losses in Western Canada, researchers
did some tests and studies on various winter feeds and the results were
definitely in favour of plain old sugar water.

We *know* without a shadow of a doubt that sucrose dissolved in water
without any additives is safe and effective in ensuring good results --
even better than many honies.  Do we know that about the proposed
alternatives?  I think there are reasonable doubts as to safety in harsh
wintering conditions.

Just how I think.  Knock yourself out, but I'll stick with the proven way.

We've been over this a bit before.  Check the archives.

Allen

> re: the recent exchange of information on tartatic acid I am not
> interested in a prolonged debate on this subject but  I would not term
> Leslie Bailey of the Rothamsted Experimental Station an isolated
> researcher
>
> > I think any contribution to clarify the issue is quite welcome. However, I
> > wonder whether the two beekeepers who criticized the use of tartaric acid
> > ever tried it to confirm if it indeed causes what an isolated researcher
> > stated. Unfortunately it is plenty of pseudoscientists out there writing
> > and confussing the mind of beekeepers.

---
Newsflash!  Visit http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/beel.htm
to search BEE-L archives the easy, easy way or to
update or change your subscription options.
---