From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:52:43 -0500
Jim Fischer wrote:
     “So, one can eliminate pesticides, mites, and nutrition as
anything more than minor side issues, as they would not be
affected at all by the irradiation of combs, and we can
assume these factors to be consistent across the irradiated
and non-irradiated hives within any one operation.”

### Except that you might want to consider the possibility that the
bacterial or viral or fungal pathogen is transmitted by a parasite such as
Varroa or tracheal mites, which would make controlling mites the key to
controlling CCD.

Bill Truesdell writes:
“Nosema is a fungus which forms spores that can survive for long periods.
No QED here, but Nosema seems to be in the forefront.
Again, it may not be that it is the cause, but coupled with any other
stress factor, could easily cause colony collapse.”

### It’s my understanding that some funguses produce toxins that can kill.
I am wondering if something like that could be happening in this CCD
scenario.  If a fungus were producing a toxic byproduct it might help
explain the delay in moth and beetle infestation as well as the delay in
ant and bee robbing that has been observed.  I’m sure this has been
carefully considered.  Jerry?

Steve Noble