From:
Griggs Mike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 2009 08:51:51 -0400
On May 12, 2009, at 12:00 AM, BEE-L automatic digest system wrote:

The american elm

    Having done my graduate work on Dutch Elm Disease I've spent about
8 years in elm tree canopies around the NE.  The monumental Mall in
the capital was/is surrounded by American Elms.  I have not been there
for 20 years.

    Elms flower early in the year, I have a siberian in my back yard
that is raising seed now.  The Elms tend to seed prior to leaving so
it is an early (upstate NY) source for pollen--I believe it to be low
quality.  It is not a nectar source as the Ulmaceae does not have
floral nectaries. The tree is normally a wind pollinated species and
may be an emergency alternate source of pollen in the spring.

   CAUTION:   The Dutch Elm Disease has evolved a more virulent form
that is capable of taking down some of the "resistant" cultivars.  The
other major disease that assisted the depletion of the American Elm
was a (introduced) pathogen that is vectored by a flugorid (flying
leaf sucking insect) called Elm Yellows--a Phytoplasm!

   I love American Elm but not sure they will ever recover the majesty
they once held in American cities!

Mike
Dutch Elm Disease was very very good to me--paid my graduate education!