From:
"john f. mesinger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 16:59:23 -0500
Re: Carniolans just waking up in March in SC. The three previous winters in
central VA were unusually warm. I found brood started on three frames the
last week of January in two hives and each of these had 7 frames of brood
by March. [Having left them honeybound the second year not realizing they
ate so little stores compared to my Italians they were ready to swarm in
mid March.] The same first two years, Starlines had not started brood
laying the first week of March and had eaten so much more honey, there was
no problem of them being honey bound [I sold them that year, and now have 4
carniolan hives educating me.]

I do agree that not only state but elevation would be a factor to report
when raising questions about "what type of bee".

John F. Mesinger