From:
Andy Nachbar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 20:26:19 -0800
At 08:35 PM 11/6/97 -0600, you wrote:

>I can think of hauling off the hollowed out log and attempting
>to hive the swarm next Spring, if it survives the winter.

If I had the chance here I would have the wood cutter cut a couple of
round's to fashion into a top and bottom and I would secure them to the
hollow log with the bees in it making sure that they had a entrance to come
and go from.

You would have a nice natural hive and next spring you could add a supper
by making a gasket to fit the space left open depending on the size of the
hollow log (brood chamber).

It would be a fun project and you could end up with the best of two worlds,
a natural hive with man made supers. If the size of the log part was great
enough you could cut a window in it and replace it with glass and watch the
bees do their thing as nature intended. This should be made with a cover to
shut out the light when not viewing the bees or they will move away from
the light.

All this seems like a lot of work but from an area's that I keep bee's in
there are few bee tree's so it sounds like fun to me.<G>

ttul, the OLd Drone